Membership in the National Association for Poetry Therapy (NAPT) is open to anyone who shares our mission of promoting growth and healing through language, symbol and story.
Community & Connection:
- Participate in an internationally-recognized professional organization that is unique not just for its mission, but for the warmth and openness of its culture.
- Learn techniques, share ideas and connect with others by attending our annual conference at a reduced rate. (Continuing Education Units/Credits are available for all conference attendees.)
- Network and interact with people who share a passion for the healing power of words by taking part in the NAPT’s Members Only online discussion group, a virtual community where ideas, resources, and inspiration are freely shared.
- List your web site or blog or Facebook presence on the NAPT Member Websites page
- Become a part of a large formal network dedicated to the support and development of the NAPT’s mission and aims.
Note: The NAPT is now distributing materials electronically or providing online access (with exceptions made for those without Internet access on request).
- The Museletter, our membership newsletter, is published three times a year (July, November and March) and highlights NAPT news and upcoming events, featuring articles and reviews as well as opportunities for professional training and networking.
- Journal of Poetry Therapy: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Practice, Theory, Research and Education, a peer-reviewed academic journal, is published quarterly and includes scholarly articles on research and process as well as dissertation abstracts, book reviews, and poetry.
- The NAPT e-newsletter, a periodic e-newsletter, offers the latest news from the NAPT Board of Directors, including events, member announcements, and other resources.
Personal & Professional Growth:
- Explore the various applications of poetry therapy, expressive writing, journal therapy and other uses of the language arts, such as Performance poetry and Spoken Word.
- Develop leadership skills and expand your professional networks through board service by participating in one of the NAPT’s various committees.
Organizational Support for Poetry Therapy Activities:
- Receive grant funding from the NAPT for hosting regional events that focus on poetry therapy and other literary expressive arts such as therapeutic writing and journal therapy.
- Become an official NAPT Ambassador and spread the word of your own projects and the larger field of Poetry Therapy by providing in-service presentations, performing TED Talks, and facilitating other workshops for interested organizations and institutions.
- Gain access to event listings and training opportunities in The Museletter.
Apply for or renew your membership to NAPT by using our Online Membership Application